Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dispatch from London


During my last trip to London, I was reminded of the wisdom of the words spoken by John Travolta’s character Vincent Vega in the film Pulp Fiction: "It's the little things that make Europe different. I mean they got the same shit over there as we got here, but it’s just a little different." For example, it was hard to get our hands on napkins, which was just as well as garbage cans turned out to be a sort of Scarlet Pimpernel: virtually impossible to find, no matter how hard you looked. And for anyone with romantic notions about Buckingham Palace, note the following: There are weeds in the lawn! If you’re having a hard time imagining this, I don’t blame you – if someone had told me the truth before I’d seen it with my own eyes, I’d have more easily imagined Dolly Parton with acorn-sized breasts.

The money is a little different too. I had heard that London was expensive, but, as silly as it sounds, the pain is somewhat masked by conducting transactions in the local “funny money”, the British pound sterling. If you’re using cash, all of it has the same person on it (Queen Elizabeth II), subconsciously reducing the differentiation between a one-pound note and a twenty as you’re paying through the nose with the latter. Also, things cost half-again as much in dollars, so if you’re not doing the calculation all the time, you can feel one-third better than you ought to. This can have dire consequences, even if delayed, as you’ll soon see.

One night, dining out at a downscale pizza joint near the center of town, we ordered four small personal pizzas and two warm beers. During the meal, I noticed that a couple of men who’d sat down at an adjacent table were vigorously casting glances my way. At first, I thought it was because they were looking at something behind me, but when I turned I saw we were seated in front of a bare wall, so then I assumed it was because we were a little rummy from our trans-Atlantic flight and thus noisier than London norms permit. But eventually the waiter came by and served them a single dessert, which they shared, and the riddle of the glances (as well as that of their skin-tight jeans and matching pink shirts) was solved.

However, this unrequited sexual tension left me even more dazed than just the jet lag, which by itself would have easily been an adequate distraction from the yet-unidentified but oncoming financial crisis. But to make matters worse, in an effort to soothe the Maître d’ and the rest of the patrons for the nuisance of our perceived unruly behavior, my traveling companions had quit the restaurant, leaving me with one credit card with a notoriously suspect magnetic stripe, which of course failed. I said to the waiter that I’d be right back and that this happened all the time, but, to ease his concerns, I left my jacket on the chair, hoping not to return with the good credit card only to find my jacket being cradled in the arms of a pink-shirted man from the adjacent table. Fortunately, when I came back my jacket had remained in its place and everything was quickly resolved without incident, but I barely looked at the total as I scribbled my signature and pocketed the receipt.

Of course, this was just a delaying of the inevitable, which came the following day when we were touring Westminster Abbey. I pulled out the receipt while standing in the nave and, sure enough, I was overcome with the shock of paying $120 for four small cheese pizzas and two warm beers. “God damn it!” I exclaimed, to the horror of one of my traveling companions and more than a few of the pilgrims, whose glares were instantly trained on me.

As if in The Matrix, time slowed to a near-halt as unspoken bullets of disapproval converged on me. And as they did, the more primitive part of my brain sought shelter by nudging my memory neurons. I thought of a news program that we’d seen upon our arrival in London that profiled a star on the current Italian soccer team, Mario Balotelli. It was of great interest to the locals – Team Italy was playing in the finals of the UEFA Euro 2012 (an important soccer event that happens once every four years that I’d never heard of) – but my salvation was not to lie in the game, but rather in inspiration provided by the earlier off-field actions of the star. I had learned that within days of joining an English professional soccer team, Balotelli was involved in a car crash. He was carrying £5000 cash at the time – and that when a police officer asked why he had such a large sum of money he replied, "Because I am rich."

Inspired by his quick thinking, I in turn quickly came to my senses and, feigning a look of horror, looked behind me as if I were searching for whoever might be the heathen stupid enough to utter the unholy words. At the same time I pushed forward through the crush of humanity (packed in tightly to maximize profit made from charging an entrance fee of $25/person), pressing onward until I’d moved beyond the collective consciousness of the group that had heard me. And when I’d finally reached the safety of anonymity, I let a sigh of relief go, congratulating myself on my quick thinking and the fact that at least I hadn’t done it in the Vatican…

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why us llamas always carry our own bale of hay with us when you travel to foreign lands. It avoids any sexual tension that may occur. A trick I learned from my Peruvian brothers and sisters. Q:- Why is American beer always served chilled.. A:- 'cause if was served at room temperature everyone would realize how goddam awful it tastes....snare roll....cymbal crash....thank you , thank you, thank you very much....and fade to black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. US media was making a fanfare of the lack of fries throughout the queens city doing the games. Is this what drove you to eat Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I am Space Mountain, then Dolly Parton is Twin Peaks. WOOO!

    Seriously though, who goes to London and eats Pizza? Why not go for the bangers and mash? Which is also one of my favorite things to do in London. WOOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer motor boating on the Thames.

      Delete
    2. All depends on the size of the thrups my good man. WOOO!

      Delete
    3. I've heard the Brits have Double Deckers. Just saying, you know.

      Delete
  5. You don't have strange men looking at you all the time? That is concerning for you, maybe you should get it checked out, because everyone knows that having strange men look at you is normal... right?

    note to self: always carry a wad of cash around so I can let people know I'm rich too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you didn't end up buggered by the men in the pink shirts. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, OS X Mountain Lion is worth the $20.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gods damnit. Frack the Brits and their funny money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I enjoyed the polytheism more than the obscure reference to a show that I've never seen... Well played, sir!

      Delete
    2. Polymorphism is more exciting to me than polytheism, but Battlestar Galactica in its totality ranks up there.

      You down with BSG?

      Yeah you know me!

      Delete
  9. I think this story would have been better if you had rolled up one of the pizzas and had sex with it just to get your money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sex is difficult during family vacations, so I thought this was a practical suggestion. Jeez.

      Delete
    2. @ TheUmp - are you sure you aren't Forrest Gump?

      Delete
    3. Yo I'm TheUmp and I ain't no chump

      I'm neither David Beckham, nor Forrest Gump

      What's clear is I'm here to Ump you up

      I can pump you up til you're nice and plump

      So ladies shake that rump or your baby bump

      And if you go home tipsy, you should pump and dump

      Peace.

      Delete
    4. What a wonderful composition! As a huge C&W fan, I imagine this to be set to something like "Somethin' 'bout a Truck" by Kip Moore.

      If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right.

      Delete
    5. Yo Laura, you're pretty wonderful yourself:

      So if you're Fergalicious with those lady lumps

      TheUmp may well just get up, stand up and thump you like a pup

      (And that means from the back, just so you know what's up)

      Peace.

      Delete
  10. I don't understand. What were the two guys looking at? Do gay men in London try to have sex with tourist families? Maybe you look like one of their buddies, only the lack of make-up and heterosexual family was throwing them? I'm confused here. Perhaps they were talent scouts, and recognized you as a professional model/actor! In that case, their gayness wasn't even a factor. Or are you just that damned good looking?

    As for your "witty" response paralleling Mario, his remark was very funny. Yours more reminded me of a farter who pretended not to have dealt it.

    And, since Ump's language has reduced this latest posting to the nastiness of Thames mud, here is my British humor joke:

    Two flies are sitting on a turd. One of the flies farts. The other says, "Do you mind, I'm eating!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure what was going on when one of them blinked "I love you" in Morse code, but when the other one proffered a cherry stem that he'd tied in a knot with his tongue my suspicions were confirmed.

      Delete
  11. There was nothing reductionist about my language, my dear ape.

    I think it was the subject matter I explored that you take exception with.

    I liked your joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No exception taken, dear filthy human, and thanks for not calling me a monkey. I enjoy poo flinging (literally) and very much like potty-mouthing (figuratively). I saw the opportunity to "descend" to a human level and blame you for it. Although I will never understand the human fascination with "thrups" and "motor boating;" a swollen red ass is obviously the way to go.....ahhhh.....you can feel the heat coming off of it!

      Delete
    2. Dear Zaius, Are you coprophagic, too?

      Delete
  12. Warm beer? You ordered that on purpose? Rosie would never....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like with the exorbitant bill involved, you were engaged in the sin of feastiality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aBill, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the fact you're a goddamn moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. listen to the Dude because the Dude is the authority on all things "international etiquette."

      Delete
  15. Liked your updated, personal Canterbury tale. But, hmm...I would be a bit more concerned about the behavior of your "traveling companions". They quit the restaurant ahead of you, leaving you to deal with the unwanted affections of your table neighbors, and they left you with a bad credit card to boot?

    But to be fair, you did bring down on them - if only indirectly - the unsolicited attention of those other dining patrons. And let's not forget how shocked your fellow travelers must have been with that outrageous outburst in Westminster Abbey. (Honestly, in Westminster Abbey? No shame have you?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaucer? Are you sure you don't want to reconsider drawing parallels between my account and a Shakespearean drama?

      Delete
    2. Resolution requires a writ of habeas corpus.

      Delete
  16. I cannot possibly be so slow as to be the 36th comment...

    I think this story could be greatly enhanced by photos, including 1 and 20 pound notes, John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, and a couple of Dan Brown action shots in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unrequited tension? So first they quited it, and expected you to quite it back; but you didn't, so it was unrequited tension? Sheesh! If somebody is nice enough to quite something, the least you can do is quite it back!

    Oh! There was nothing to quite, since it was tension. It would be like unrequited humidity...

    ReplyDelete