Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Guest post from DrLaura: "Summer of Love"


Jack and I had grown up together, but we didn’t become close until our first summer back from college. We were both a little shy, yet he was a perfect gentleman, the kind that every girl dreams of: He would bring me flowers, he was interested in my feelings, and he always made me feel like there was no one else in the world, and my insecurities would melt away. We would go on long walks and just talk about the beauty of the flowers in bloom and the wonderful community that we’d grown up with – one full of morally grounded friends, trained in the Church’s scriptures.

One sunny day, he asked me to join him on a picnic. It was warm and you could hear the wind rustling the leaves in the trees ever so gently. He took hold of my hand and said, “I have something special to show you – come with me!”, and he gazed romantically into my eyes.

I held his gaze for a long time, but I knew in my heart it wasn’t right – we were but children, unmarried and not ready for anything more. I knew this from our spiritual training learned over those many years of Sunday School. And he knew it too – he was pure of heart but weak of spirit, and I would have to be strong for both of us. I let his hand go, and his face fell.

But I could feel my emotions begin to overtake me too, and, as an older and wiser woman, I now know that I was feeling the first hints of a deep romantic love. I felt almost a spectator viewing the proceedings third hand as I heard myself ask, “What is it?”, and the happiness returned to his face as he again grasped my hand and pulled me toward old Miller’s hill. “You’ll see,” he said with a smile.

As we neared the top, the wind was building, but I was so full of happiness that I was deaf to anything but the sound of my heart and could only feel the warmth of Jack’s hand. When at last we stopped and as I looked deep into his eyes, I felt a passion burning in my breast – so much so that I barely noticed the darkening skies or the far-off rumble of thunder.

And then he bent down and, emptying the pail that he’d used as a picnic basket, spread out the blanket on the ground. I turned away, afraid of him seeing the rising emotion on my face. And as I turned I felt a drop of rain and heard the “plink, plink” of droplets hitting the bottom of the pail. Jack placed a hand on my shoulder and as I turned back towards him I felt uncontrollably drawn to him. “Jill, I…” he began.

And as he grasped my blouse there was a flash of lightning followed by a boom of thunder, and we began to fall as he tore off my

(continued on page 54)

24 comments:

  1. Page 54:

    But just two short years from that day, Jack has completely transformed. As he sits with his grubby 49ers t-shirt untucked from his ever expanding beer-gut, bright orange Cheetos dust collected around his unshaven face, his mind so focused on professional sports as a means to completely avoid intimacy, I realize that my memory of Old Millers Hill was just a fantasy. Did Jack really change so much, or was this all an elaborate ruse to deflower me and secure an endless supply of hot wings and canned beer delivered on snack trays showing images of Jesus. Perhaps it was only my feminine mind projecting a picture of Jack that could never be. As I get increasingly distant from Jack I immerse myself in cheap romance novels to escape the cruel reality of my life, escaping into the life I though I had a few short year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known that a little typo would yield this kind of sarcastic drivel. The reality was much more romantic, I'll have you know. He is the man of my dreams and we've been married for many wonderful years. He has a sensual way about him that is irresistible - sexy as hell - and he is the only one who has ever been able to make me

      (continued on page 87)

      Delete
    2. Sorry Laura, can't take the bait again. Really your man sounds great. My lyrical desired require that I better understand how perfect your man is. Can you share some qualities for which you might want to sing?

      Delete
    3. As a huge C&W fan, I am inclined to suggest that the answer lies in the lyrics to "Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life," but perhaps a better way to describe his utter perfection is as follows: He is the yin to my yang, the Lancelot to my Guinevere, his Excalibur to my

      (continued on page 122)

      Delete
    4. 'cmon Laura you make me blush!

      Delete
    5. Are you really "the" dude? What do you do for recreation?

      Delete
    6. Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

      Delete
    7. Your bowling - does it include a ball with three holes in it?

      Delete
    8. Where's the bit about having to go to all of the organic food stores to by just the right free-range turkey for the picnic sandwich? And where the hell is the good stuff about how HE felt and what HE thought!

      Delete
    9. Orangutans do not care to spell "Buy" correctly.

      Delete
  2. Where’s Jack’s crown? What’s with that gigantic pail that holds an entire picnic and a blanket? Did Jack just come back from Home Depot with one of those “Homer’s buckets”? Then again, I don’t expect a “plink plink” in one of those pails – more like a “bump bump”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great questions, although I suspect that this story is more about the "Universal Grammar of Love" than whether or not the bucket was made in China out of Saudi crude... Sugar Loaf, please settle this!

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, the universal language of love! I think we can see a metaphor in this story: the love Jack and Jill have for each other (universal love) is to universal grammar, and the Church's scriptures are to English classes- both telling us the way things should be and stifling what is only natural!

      Delete
  3. Wait wait!!! What's going on. First I turn up as a character in Jim's block party story now here I am in a Dr Laura story. You guys been reading my diaries again? BTW this one was pre-mentholated smokes. Oh and I'm Jewish...no pictures of Jesus on my plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all ain't from Buffalo, are you? I seem to remember both you and DrLaura - it was "Super-freaky"!

      Delete
    2. I have His picture on my plates... Just reading this story made me feel like a sinner.

      Delete
  4. Well, I for one am very impressed, "doctor". When you started, I was predisposed to believe that you were pure as the driven snow, but as you approached what may or may not have been the climax, I was struck by the immense cleverness of the multiple innuendos simultaneously interposed with a nursery rhyme, all revealing the human condition... I believe you to be as pure of heart as Jack, and honest as the day is long - conflicted by desire. You, madame, are nothing short of a man's dream, surely as magnificent as a modern-day Helen of Troy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, sir, are providing the next writing sample.

      Delete
  5. Dear DrLaura,

    I've had bowel movements more profound that this so-called romance narrative of yours. Vapid, insipid, cloying and wretched are but a few of the adjectives your story brings to the tongue. And by the way, Jack's been on the "down low" for over three years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - I always wondered why whenever I told him how wonderful he was he'd shake his head and say "Call me Rotem Inbar, baby." It turns out he'd been moonlighting on the Israeli groove metal band Betzefer's first studio album "Down Low"! As for you, Clamdigger - pretty tough words for a guy without an avatar...

      Delete
  6. I think you've been reading to many Harlequin novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On re-reading, I'm inspired with the idealism you bring to men and the human condition. I hope this song captures the spirit of the your man...

    http://www.myspace.com/solo_baldanza/music/songs/harlequin-man-86550526

    ReplyDelete